July 03, 2020, 05:31:50 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Club now open with social guidelines
posted on caravan

Aberdeen Aeromodellers Flying Club

Information

Visitor Map

Locations of visitors to this page

Author Topic: Reversing shaft in brushless outrunner  (Read 169 times)

Offline htiek

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
Reversing shaft in brushless outrunner
« on: June 01, 2020, 07:32:36 PM »
As per topic title. Has anyone done this job on an outrunner? Any issues encountered or just things to be careful of?
I've read 4 Max's instructions on how to do it but a little nervous of their list of warnings at the top of the page! Don't want to trash a brand new motor but can't get it mounted with the spinny drum bitty (I believe that is the technical term) facing backwards. ::)
Cheers,
Keith
Keith Murray
Returning Aeromodeller!

Offline IanF

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
Re: Reversing shaft in brushless outrunner
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 12:19:52 AM »
As per topic title. Has anyone done this job on an outrunner? Any issues encountered or just things to be careful of?
I've read 4 Max's instructions on how to do it but a little nervous of their list of warnings at the top of the page! Don't want to trash a brand new motor but can't get it mounted with the spinny drum bitty (I believe that is the technical term) facing backwards. ::)
Cheers,
Keith

Just do as 4max says, itís easy, getting the spring clip off is the worst job....do it onside a clear poly bag so the clip doesnít ping into orbit when it finally releases.

If you got the motor from 4max it normally comes with the shaft sticking out from the mounting face, with the motor mounted behind the firewall with the shaft sticking out forwards. Is that how you want it?

Or
Take it to the field and Iíll trash, Sorry, do it for you. 🤪
OFFICIAL FOAM ABUSER

Offline htiek

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 10:02:42 AM »
Hi Ian,
Hope you are keeping well?
Good idea about the plastic bag!
The motor is replacing an old 600 can motor in a 25 year old glider, another 'lockdown' restoration.
There's not a lot of room up-front and if I cut a big enough hole in the firewall to clear the spinny bit there will be sod-all structure left. 4-max did provide a bolt-on prop adaptor that fits on the spinny end but sadly I bought a nice shiny folding prop to fit the 4mm motor shaft. The prop adaptor would not let me use it so reversing the shaft would just make the job easier.
Good to know it's not too bad a job, the instructions made it sound easy enough, just all the red dire warnings about invalidating warranties etc. are a bit off-putting!
Hopefully get to the field soon although it's several multiples over the gov's 'advised' 5 mile journey away from me :(
Cheers,
Keith

Keith Murray
Returning Aeromodeller!

Offline htiek

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 07:28:09 PM »
Mission accomplished :D
Cheers,
Keith