February 25, 2021, 07:06:16 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Aberdeen Aeromodellers Flying Club

Information

Recent Posts

Author Topic: Cabin Fever  (Read 287 times)

Offline IanF

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
Cabin Fever
« on: December 21, 2020, 07:47:19 AM »
With the current, and upcoming Covid restrictions, and my skippy leg getting worse, Iíve had a bad case of Cabin fever being stuck in the house most of the time.

So much so I have finished three new ARTFs and am just about to start on a KIT.. I opened the box and itís just a bundle of sticks! It is a bit of a PANIC for me. 😉 So Iíll be on a relearning curve. 😀

One. Question for you Balsa bashers. What do you build on?
My thoughts are an MDF board with smooth cork tiles  glued on top. What do others use?

OFFICIAL FOAM ABUSER

Offline Mike Deans

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
Re: Cabin Fever
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 08:11:27 AM »
Hi Ian, ahh the joys of balsa assembly your'e going to have so much fun even with a few rude words thrown in occasionally, I have in the past used mdf with cork tiles with some success although it was not a large board. I was fortunate some years ago, when I visited a model shop while on holiday, to buy a balsa building board 4 feet in length, been using it ever since.
        I know what you mean about cabin fever, I have a sever twitch myself.

Mike
Happiness is flying and landing in one piece

Offline PhilR

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 09:40:33 AM »
Good morning Ian. I use plasterboard, itís available in various sheet sizes.

Offline Alan C

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 07:16:07 PM »
Hi Ian,    i use the material used for notice boards called sundeala but it only comes in 1.2 x  2.4 sheets also expensive  plasterboard sounds good to me cheap and very easy to get ,  happy building   cheers Alan

Offline IanF

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 04:45:26 PM »
Thanks for your replies ....Iím going for a Balsa board laid on top of a 3/4Ē MDF sheet of 48 x30.
Itís way big enough for the four wings I have to build, so no PANIC there 😜

I need pins, glues a new razor plane ( dropped my old one ) , so Iíll put an order in with SLEC in the New Year.
OFFICIAL FOAM ABUSER

Offline Mike Deans

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 08:17:16 AM »
Did you just drop a hint at what you are building ?  ^-^

Mike
Happiness is flying and landing in one piece

Offline IanF

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 08:57:46 AM »
Donít PANIC Iíll tell you later!  😂
OFFICIAL FOAM ABUSER

Offline MikeB

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 04:56:11 PM »
I have a SLEC  board and not using for now, your welcome to it

Offline MikeB

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 04:59:12 PM »
Failing that plan pinned to plasterboard and covered  by film (got plenty film spare) on a bench or folding table.

Works really well

Offline IanF

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2020, 08:59:43 PM »
Thanks for the offer Mike, but I think Iíll get my own as  I may take up building ( must be getting too old! )

Iíve four wing panels to make for the first build, so I may take some time as I donít want to get in a PANIC by rushing. 🙂
OFFICIAL FOAM ABUSER

Offline Norman1

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2020, 07:30:02 PM »
Here's my tuppence worth  Ian,

3/4 MDF is fine as long as it is balanced.  Put simply the building board needs to be sealed on the underside too or it will never stay flat and will most certainly curl (hence this is why e.g. kitchen worktops are finished on the underside). 48 x 30 is way too big -   48 x (12 - 15) will be more stable. Construct a ladder using dressed 2 x 2  redwood / whitewood - pva and screw the MDF at 3 inch centres - remember my comment re balancing and seal the entire structure with a couple of coats of polyurethane varnish or something similar) before you attach your final choice of board surface to the MDF.

Tip - purchase  a decent bit of seasoned timber for the ladder and not something from B&Q that's been lying outside for the last three months (fulll of moisture).

Plasterboard lath sheet is fine and is available in small sizes (48 x  18). Alternatively, as Alan suggests, you can use sundeala board - but if you want a low-cost alternative that will do the same job  you can use suspended ceiling tiles.  I'm currently using  12 x12 x 3/8 self adhesive cork tiles.

You are not in a PERKINS PANIC having four wing halfs to build  - are you?

Norman

Offline IanF

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 11:06:03 PM »
Thanks for the inputt Norman. If I were to go down your route Iíd still be building the board next Xmas 😉.
In my case tha MDF will be screwed down to my workbench which  is made from 1Ē steel box section with an HD worktop with a hard surface. Itís totally flat,  checked with a 1 mtr spirit level. It doesnít even sag with me standing on it!  It was previously used as a check area in an offshore warehouse.

On top of that will go a Balsa building sheet from SLEC.
( this is getting a bit complex, I should have got an ARTF 😜)
OFFICIAL FOAM ABUSER

Offline Norman1

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2020, 11:33:33 PM »
That sounds great.

I'm afraid I'm stuck with a portable version that appears when the wife is not at home !!

Norman

Copyright AAMFC
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | Mods by SMFSimple.com
Simple Audio Video Embedder
TinyPortal 2.0.0 © 2005-2020