February 25, 2021, 07:57:17 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Aberdeen Aeromodellers Flying Club

Information

Recent Posts

Author Topic: Leisure battery rc planes  (Read 167 times)

Offline MikeB

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
Leisure battery rc planes
« on: December 27, 2020, 03:49:11 PM »
Can anyone recommend a suitable battery please
Not too much workload mainly 3 or 4s lipo.

I should have said It would be for starting Glo engines I would consider  a lipo on starter.. what size best its a standard 12v
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 06:41:49 PM by MikeB »

Offline Dave Wilshere

• Forum Member
Re: Leisure battery rc planes
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 04:10:38 PM »
Leisure battery isn't the best choice, they are designed for trickle discharge over a long period. You will get better charges out of a car type battery. I use a large van 100A type (which still have handles as they are heavy)
If you are only doing small packs the leisure might be OK, but you can pay a premium for them too.

Offline IanF

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 05:00:36 PM »
I agree with Dave . My one is a 110ah Battery for a diesel Land Rover. The labelling has peeled of, but I bought it online. Just look for HD batteries ( or hi drain) . I canít remember where it came from, but you should come up with lots of choice around £80 to £100

Remember theses are really heavy, and you need to make sure it cannot move or tip in the back of your car. My one is strapped down to the spare wheel cover that I put slits in to take the straps.
Youíve probably seen that in my car..
If it does slide you can say goodbye to any models that may get in the way.

Oh and ensure both terminals are covered. Iíve stuck a box with two outlets to the side of the battery connected to the terminals with 10 gauge cable and a 30 amp fuse.
OFFICIAL FOAM ABUSER

Offline p1andy

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 04:57:14 PM »
The align superstarter takes a 3s lipo, if fully charged then it should provide many starts of a glo engine and is very light. Cant see the need for a leisure battery to charge it, leisure battery will just be a heavy lump to take back and forth with you.

If you are planning numerous flights on large stubborn to start engines then perhaps you could take a spare lipo with you.
Suppy Boof 😂 © 2017

Offline IanF

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 05:11:59 PM »
I agree with Andy, I never noticed you had edited your post after I had posted my initial comments.

Alan C uses a 4s 3300 Lipo ( I think ) on his starter and it lasts all day

In my time of running IC engines I used a 4s 2200 mounted on a bracket  on a zjust Engines geared started. It would even start a 180 4 stroke.
I also used a Lipo glow igniter  https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/prolux-lipo-glow-ignitor-w-led-indicator-charger-25815?gclid=CjwKCAiArbv_BRA8EiwAYGs23MPBK5Dzvhi67qLgv-XFQ83XFTEjy1r0HjaYMiTuTET3Gt1QD1rNEhoCcyIQAvD_BwE

Theses both lasted all day so no need for a big battery if running ic

I thought you wanted a big one for charging lipos. Initially
OFFICIAL FOAM ABUSER

Copyright AAMFC
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | Mods by SMFSimple.com
Simple Audio Video Embedder
TinyPortal 2.0.0 © 2005-2020