October 22, 2021, 09:51:51 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Aberdeen Aeromodellers Flying Club

Information

Recent Posts

Author Topic: Geebee Fantasy Racer  (Read 505 times)

Offline htiek

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
Geebee Fantasy Racer
« on: June 12, 2021, 04:26:42 PM »
Now that the Sonic 500 is finished this will be next on the bench. It was a Christmas pressie from the Mrs.
Hopefully not as scary to fly as the scale Geebees!😱
Keith Murray
Returning Aeromodeller!

Offline htiek

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
Re: Geebee Fantasy Racer
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 11:34:43 PM »
Dry fit assembly tonight. A few things I don't like that will need a tweak. The snakes are rattling about so loads of slop on elevator and rudder.
The manual leaves a lot to be desired too. Glue is provided which I assume is to join the wings. No mention of that anywhere in the manual though.
The throws and c of g page leaves a lot to be desired too!
Keith Murray
Returning Aeromodeller!

Offline Norman1

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 09:30:36 PM »
Keith

Don't worry about the slop on the snakes - you'll just need to twiddle the sticks a bit more often :)

Looks like it will be a bit of a handful in any event.

Norman

Offline IanF

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 12:20:30 AM »
Hi Keith
Been looking at the flying reviews on YouTube and the Geebee looks like a puppy to fly. Very stable. Just stick to 3s for a while then 4s2200 when you need some more speed. ( I’d start with 4s )
OFFICIAL FOAM ABUSER

Offline Norman1

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 11:11:24 PM »
Perhaps not quite the same handfull as I remember the original GB racer!

Offline IanF

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 09:04:18 AM »
Dry fit assembly tonight. A few things I don't like that will need a tweak. The snakes are rattling about so loads of slop on elevator and rudder.
The manual leaves a lot to be desired too. Glue is provided which I assume is to join the wings. No mention of that anywhere in the manual though.
The throws and c of g page leaves a lot to be desired too!

The glue is to put it back together after it’s first................no I’ll not go there 😉
OFFICIAL FOAM ABUSER

Offline Mike Deans

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 03:11:17 PM »
The glue is to put it back together after it’s first................no I’ll not go there 😉

In best Pantomime voice, "Oh yes he will"

Mike 😈
Happiness is flying and landing in one piece

Offline Dave Wilshere

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 08:21:37 AM »
Ensure the rudder does not stick, the Geebee R3 yaws with Power.(it could do with some right thrust)
The flying wire mounts stretch and fail especially on the U/C units

Offline htiek

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 07:48:24 PM »
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the info!
I'll have a look at that weird motor mount and see if I can add some right thrust somehow.
As you say, the plastic hooks for the wires don't look too inspiring. I'll have a think about what to do with them.
I'm a bit baffled with the position of the ESC too. You can't do too much about mounting it as it has to be able to be withdrawn from the front along with the motor. It seems to end up behind the battery where I'm not convinced it will get any cooling air. Have you heard of any ESC issues?
Cheers,
Keith Murray
Returning Aeromodeller!

Offline Dave Wilshere

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2021, 09:06:36 AM »
I think I left my ESC 'floating' Cooling should not be an issue, current draw is not crazy on that Bell motor

Dave

Offline htiek

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2021, 08:10:50 PM »
Cheers Dave.
I've extended the esc battery connections a little and it now sits behind the cowl. I've opened up a couple of the dummy cooling fins in the cowl in line with it, might do something useful, who knows.
A washer behind one of the fixing screws of that daft spigot motor mount bracket thing has resulted in a bucketful of right thrust. Possibly too much.  We shall see!
Not sure what to do about the plastic hooks for the wires, think I'll see how the maiden flight goes and whether it's worth beefing it up.
Have to say I've not been impressed with the quality of this model. Hopefully it will surprise me by being a nice flyer!
Keith Murray
Returning Aeromodeller!

Offline htiek

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2021, 04:51:40 PM »
Not the best of maiden flights.
After about 3 take-off runs that all ended with nose overs, it took me by surprise on the next attempt by leaping into the air. Managed half a circuit but just couldn't keep the nose up. Ran out of elevator, luck and talent and Hare moss swamp claimed another victim.
Not too much damage but unfortunately I have lost one of the undercarriage bracing wires.
Investigations after retrieval from the bog show that the elevator is twisted so I may have been fighting quite a bit of 'down'. The elevator travel was the only figure stated in the manual and seems to be quite small at only +/- 5mm.
Anyhow, back on the bench to be patched up. It will return!
Keith Murray
Returning Aeromodeller!

Offline Mike Deans

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 06:52:14 PM »
Ouch, maidens flights are so much fun.

Mike
Happiness is flying and landing in one piece

Offline htiek

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2021, 07:34:03 PM »
Well it has had 3 more flights, all at Meikle Wartle to avoid any more bog excursions. Bloody horrible flying thing :o I think it has found its new resting place for a while.

Think I'll fly something else for a while and come back to it when I'm feeling more motivated. I'll try to work out what is wrong with it in the meantime!
Keith Murray
Returning Aeromodeller!

Copyright AAMFC
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | Mods by SMFSimple.com
Simple Audio Video Embedder
TinyPortal 2.0.0 © 2005-2020