October 22, 2021, 10:57:33 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Aberdeen Aeromodellers Flying Club

Information

Recent Posts

Author Topic: Request for help in the community  (Read 260 times)

Offline Gav

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Member
Request for help in the community
« on: August 18, 2021, 12:50:38 PM »
Folks,

As part of a work initiative I am running an operation in Garthdee at the ski slope.  My thinking was if one or two members could agree to attend if they could take a model or two for a static display as well as perhaps a laptop with a flight sim on it (I have a laptop but no flight sim)

My hope was this could be an opportunity to canvas members for the club whilst impressing my bosses ;D

I have sent the following out to youth organisations.  Please let me know if anyone is interested in attending as this would greatly assist me, the local community and hopefully the club.

I am running an operation whereby I wish to interact with local youths and introduce them to youth clubs in the area.  I would like to extend you an invitation to join this operation.

The location will be a football pitch at Garthdee Skii Slope, Aberdeen.  The format would be for you to set up a stall or display in the hope of canvasing new members to your club.  This event will take place from 1800 to 2100 hours on Saturday 18 September 2021. 

I will be contacting local media to advertise the event.  There will be opportunities for the local youths to experience the dry ski slop as well as goodies having been donated by Asda.

Offline Gav

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Member
Re: Request for help in the community
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 07:57:35 PM »
The silence speaks volumes I?ll take that as a no then.

Offline p1andy

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 10:34:59 PM »
Think the Saturday night is the killer for it Gav, that?s the most probable time of the week where I?m very likely to be in the process of getting peshhhhhhed
Suppy Boof 😂 © 2017

Offline Mike Deans

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 11:56:40 AM »
A few of us attended two such displays in the hope of attracting new members, a lot of hard work resulting in nothing. It is hardly surprising the deafening silence has occurred, although if a few (I do not mean one or two) still wished to have a go I would consider pitching in.

Mike
Happiness is flying and landing in one piece

Offline Gav

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 06:48:26 PM »
A few of us attended two such displays in the hope of attracting new members, a lot of hard work resulting in nothing. It is hardly surprising the deafening silence has occurred, although if a few (I do not mean one or two) still wished to have a go I would consider pitching in.

Mike

Fair enough If it?s been done before I?ll leave it. To be honest the audience I am targeting is youths in the Garthdee/kincorth area and they may not have transport to get to the club. Welcome to come along but don?t feel pressured

Offline IanF

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 09:12:25 PM »
Gav

Remember if they are juniors they have to have an adult with them at the field, as none of us have a Disclosure to cover that.
OFFICIAL FOAM ABUSER

Offline Norman1

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2021, 09:51:51 PM »
Gav

Not entirely sure how I can help  but  i'll try.  I  have a  bare uncovered balsa acro wot
and one complete for a static display  ( the shortened wing version that everyone pokes fun about), various engines and a couple of  old Futaba  trannys they can play with  - maybe start a four stroke for the  buz?

I don't have  a simulator but I'm sure someone in the club will come up  with somthing.  I"ts not just about  attracting new members to the club -  its about giving a young child a smile .
A
Hope others can join in.

Norman

Offline Gav

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2021, 01:09:16 PM »
Gav

Not entirely sure how I can help  but  i'll try.  I  have a  bare uncovered balsa acro wot
and one complete for a static display  ( the shortened wing version that everyone pokes fun about), various engines and a couple of  old Futaba  trannys they can play with  - maybe start a four stroke for the  buz?

I don't have  a simulator but I'm sure someone in the club will come up  with somthing.  I"ts not just about  attracting new members to the club -  its about giving a young child a smile .
A
Hope others can join in.

Norman

That would be ideal Norman especially running an engine at the event. Thanks man

Offline Gav

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 11:17:34 AM »
Norman,

I?m going to buy a real flight simulator and put it in my laptop which I will bring along. I?ll also try and bring a model. I will be working in uniform and managing the whole event. At the moment there are about 10 stalls being put up and I am canvassing more from other youth organisations (scouts guides etc).

Hopefully one more person from the club could join you (hint hint) to help but if not I?ll be going about. I?ll see you at the club to discuss further

Gav

Offline al watt

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2021, 05:31:59 PM »
Sorry Gav I have done this once or twice for Inverurie club and three times for our club...Not one new member came from it..   Last one was Portlethan open day and we put a lot of work into it...   Even the air cadets could not be bothered walking over to have a go with the sim...     The ladies showing their knitting talents next to us had many visitors to their stand we had four,for a whole days work.

I also ten years ago tried to get Westhill air cadets to build an aircraft and fly it,   they had one up the HQ loft....The Officer in charge stopped it......Also we tried with Ellon Air Cadets...The club put a very big effort into giving them a try at Helicopter flying and fixed wing..  All the cadets enjoyed it but none took it up...
Sorry I know that is not what you want to hear!
al
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 05:51:02 PM by al watt »

Copyright AAMFC
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | Mods by SMFSimple.com
Simple Audio Video Embedder
TinyPortal 2.0.0 © 2005-2020